- Cebu province is one of the most visited provinces in the Philippines because of its white beaches, long stretch of sandbars, hidden falls, churches and of course, the gentle giants (whale sharks).
(I APOLOGIZE IN ADVANCE FOR THE LOW QUALITY PHOTOS)
- We only had 4 days and 4 nights to explore Cebu. With quite low budget, we still wanted to be able to experience what Cebu has to offer.
- We decided to cut our trip and focus on either North or South Cebu, both including a tour at Cebu City.
- After all the researches, we finalized to start at the SOUTH for our first adventures in Cebu.
MANILA to CEBU CITY
HOW TO GO TO CEBU:
Unfortunately, our flight was delayed for 4 hours due to the weather in Manila. At around 9:30 pm, we finally arrived at Mactan Cebu International Airport.
- We immediately went to the taxi stand to go and check in to our hotel.
Beware, the lines are really long especially on a friday night
- Arrived at our hotel. Put our bags down as soon as we can then rode the same taxi to eat our dinner at LARSIAN.
- LARSIAN is a famous food dining market in Cebu City. It has different types of Ihaw Ihaw ( BBQ ) which gives a very distinct yummy taste.
- You can also order seafoods and ask them to make a soup for you.
- Our dinner wouldnt be complete without trying PUSO rice.👌
Only cost – 3 pesos per puso.
KAWASAN FALLS, MAINIT SPRINGS, SEVEN FALLS, ALEGRIA BALUARTE, BADIAN CHURCH, INAMBAKAN FALLS, SANTANDER
Woke up as early as 5:00 am to prepare for depart to Kawasan Falls.
TIP: We rented a van so we can fit all of places we wanted to visit in one day plus make our last stop at Oslob in preparation for our day 2 adventures.
- Sidetrip to BADIAN CHURCH (St. James Parish) before going directly to kawasan.
The church was currently being repaired when we visited that is why we werent able to see the beauty of the inside.
- After arriving at the drop off point, we asked for a guide and started trekking to the falls.
You will never get bored nor tired of the trekking, because of all the beautiful nature scenery you will see
Half-way we were asked if we wanted to rent a life vest since the water in the falls are very deep. If you’re confident with your swimming skills you can skip renting.
My photo did not gave its height any justice
- But as you can see the size of the people near the falls is just about 1/8 or less of the falls.
Foods here are quite pricey, we suggest to bring packed lunch to avoid breaking the bank
CAUTION: Always check the top of the falls for people who are about to jump because it is included in the Kawasan Falls CANYONEERING adventure.
- We werent able to try it, it is temporary closed when we came
Went back to our van to go to our next destination. We were lucky enough to visit our driver’s house that was just along the way.
- He let us change our clothes and even gave us a tour of his huge house.
Continued with our travel and stopped at the beautiful ALEGRIA PARK.
- Time to relax and dip on our next destination.
- It consists of different hot springs depending on the temperature.
- Range: from 36 to 44 degrees Celsius.
- From the springs, we trek a bit further to be able to visit the SEVEN FALLS (a series of falls from 1 or the nearest to 7 or the farthest)
Wasn’t able to take a picture of the falls but it was truly a great experience.
TIP: Bring drinking water to neutralize your body temperature after relaxing at the spring
Dont skip drinking fresh buko juice for only 25 pesos!👌
On to our next stop:
- It will be quite hard getting to this beauty. First is a habal habal ride (motorcycle ride) from the drop off point to where the trekking starts. Quite scary, I swear
- Trekking down the falls was easy but coming back up? I dont think so! So be prepared!
MAGNIFICENT, isnt it?
Its almost sunset when we arrived at SANTANDER. A few minutes of sight-seeing before finally heading to OSLOB.
BLUE WATERS, hearing the splash of waves, watching the sunset. Great way to end our day 1 adventure
We went first to the PUBLIC MARKET to buy ingredients for our dinner since the hotel that we are checking in allows the use of their kitchen.
- Sinigang na Hipon
- Ensaladang talong
- Piniritong Blue Marlin
- Lots of rice
- And of course, CEBU LECHON
Thank you chef DOC for preparing it for us!
DAY 2 :
OSLOB WHALE SHARK, TUMALOG FALLS AND FISH SPA,BOLJOON PARISH MUSEUM, ARCHEOLOGICAL SITE, WATCHTOWER, ELGRANDE BALUARTE, ESCUELA CATOLICA AND ILI ROCK
Woke up very early for our next adventure, had a quick coffee by the beach before going to TANAW-AN and swim with the gentle giants.
WHERE TO STAY IN OSLOB, CEBU?
Beautiful Mornings at L&M Hearthstones Lodge
- After minutes of multicab ride while enjoying the morning view as our breakfast. We arrived and immediately registered at Tanawan.
- A quick orientation about swimming with the whale sharks is one of the very important things to keep in mind to avoid disturbing the gentle giants.
Unfortunately, the photos when we were swimming with the whale sharks had been overwritten
- NOTE: There are only one comfort room each for men and women and people usually go to the bathroom after swimming, so expect a long line before you can use it.
TUMALOG FALLS was not on our list of places to visit, we have visited a lot of Falls on our first day and didn’t really prioritize it on our 2nd day.
But hey its DIY, why not change our plan!
Dropped off from our van, and rode a habal habal to reach the falls.
- One person only can ride per habal habal.
- Make sure to remember the NUMBER of the habal-habal for they will also fetch you.
- They also offer FISH SPA in here, what’s greater than that? Its FREE!!!
Went back to the hotel and swam at the beach for a bit before washing ourselves up and eating our late breakfast, then time for check out.
- Waited for a bus going to DALAGUETE (nearer to our next destinations) to check in to our next hotel and drop our bags before continuing to our adventure.
- A quick bus ride from Dalaguete to visit the peaceful town of:
DID YOU KNOW? Almost all the old churches in Cebu used egg whites to stick its walls and foundation?
Boljoon Church also offers a museum and archeological site, no taking of pictures though, you will have to pay a fee for museum and church’s maintenance.
- The museum has real gold plated artifacts, parish clothing and old structures of saints.
Sadly, they said that some gold plated artifacts was stolen and never seen again.
Other places to visit in Boljoon:
BALAY LUNGSOD SA BOLJOON
EL GRAN BALUARTE
RELAXING OUR EYES BY THE BAY:
- Said goodbye to BOLJOON!
Headed back to the hotel and ate some good food at THE GAZEBO before resting for the day.
OSMENIA PEAK, OBONG SPRINGS, SIMALA CHURCH, CARCAR MUSEUM, ST CATHERINE CATHEDRAL, GUILINGS LECHON
Catching the sunrise was never easy especially when you have to ride a motorcycle up a hill and trek until you reach the peak.
- Woke up at around 4:30am and rode a habal-habal to the drop off point of Osmeña Peak.
- 4 people in one motorcyle? Yes yes it is possible. Great thing we have outstanding views to distract us.😉
- Registered and paid the necessary fee before proceeding with the trek.
- The Guide fee depends on the travellers budget or generosity
Unfortunately, the sun has risen even before we started the trek. On a positive side, we were able to see nature at its finest.
TIP: Wear sandals or shoes when trekking. Slippers can be very slippery especially when going up the peaks.
Not your typical spring that is hot , this one is very COLD.
Very clear water perfect for underwater shots
Checked out from our hotel and rode a bus and habal-habal going to SIMALA CHURCH
- Please wear proper attire since you are visiting a church. Do not wear shorts and sleeveless shirts
Unbelievably beautiful structure
Perfect White Castle written with WE LOVE MAMA MARY
- Different colored candles symbolizing:
- Wealth, etc.
SIDE TRIP to Lechon Capital of Cebu, CARCAR City.
- Its past lunch time when we arrived and what’s more exciting to eat than the original Lechon Cebu.
- Once you hit the market you will see different shops selling lechon. You can eat at karenderyas with an additional payment of 10pesos/head.
A TOUR AT CARCAR CITY
- CARCAR MUSEUM
CEBU CITY TOUR
WHERE TO STAY IN CEBU CITY:
- HOTEL STELLA – Don Gil Garcia St, Cebu City, Cebu
- Contact number: (032) 238 5050
- Cebu city tour package for 6 persons (with van) – good for 4 hours
A TOUR AROUND CEBU CITY
- In front of the church
- Art Gallery inside the Fort San Pedro
- Cheers to our friendship!
- 1730 Jesuit House (not included in the tour, walking distance from the heritage monument)
BOUGHT LOTS OF DRIED GOODS AS PASALUBONG BEFORE FINALLY HEADING BACK TO MANILA
SOUTH CEBU ITINERARY AND EXPENSES
Day 0 :
- 8:00 to 9:30pm – Travel from Manila to Cebu (Mactan) – P1000 each (roundtrip)
- 10:00 pm – Taxi ride to hotel – P200/4 = 50 each
- 10:30 pm – Arrived at the hotel, dropped our bags, travel to LARSIAN – P100/4 = 25 each
- 11:00 pm – Dinner at Larsian – P120 each
- 12:00 am – Back at the hotel, Lights out. – P3000/6 = 500 each including breakfast
- 5:00 am – Wake up, Prepare for check out and depart, Coffee boost packed our breakfast for our lunch
- 6:00am to 9:00am – Travel from Cebu City to Badian (St. James Parish) plus stopover at Mcdo for breakfast, Quick photo – P8500/6 = 1416 each (van ride around south cebu up to oslob) + P50 each
- 9:00 to 9:30am – Travel from Church to Kawasan Falls drop-off point
- 9:30 to 9:50am – Trek from drop off point to the Falls – Guide (you can trek without a guide, just wanted to help the locals) – P300/6 = 50 each
- 11:00am – Arrival at Kawasan Falls, swimming time and ultimate photo ops, LUNCH TIME – Entrance + life jacket rental – P70 each
- 11:30 am – Trek back to drop off point.
- 11:50 am – Travel from drop off point to perfect house of van driver to change clothes and explore his backyard beach
- 12:30 pm – Travel to Alegria
- 12:50 pm – Roam around Alegria Park, The Baluarte and St Francis Xavier Church
- 1:10 pm – Travel to Mainit Springs drop off point
- 1:50 pm – Trek from drop off point to the Springs, Register and pay fee then Relax at the hotsprings – P20 each
- 2:40 pm – Trek from the springs to the Falls, Feel the cold breeze of the Seven Falls
- 3:00 pm -Trek back plus stopover to drink fresh BUKO – P25 each
- 3:20 pm -Van ride from Mainit Springs to Habal habal drop off point
- 3:50 pm – Habal Habal ride to Inambakan Falls drop off point – P50 each (roundtrip)
- 4:15 pm – Trek to the Falls, Swim, Cliff dive, Chill at Inambakan Falls – P10 each for entrance fee
- 4:55 pm – Back to the van (highway)
- 5:20 pm– Travel from Ginatilan to Santander, Beautiful view of the sunset at Santander site
- 6:25 pm – Travel from santander to Oslob public market (quick ingredients buying for our dinner) – P100 each
- 7:00 pm – Arrival at hotel (L&M Hearthstone lodge), preparation for dinner (free use of kitchen) – P2300/6 = 383 each
- 7:40 pm – Dinner time plus planning of next day plans. Booking for whale shark watching.
- 9:30pm – Lights out
- 5:00 am – Wake up and Prepare for depart to Tanaw-an Oslob plus quick coffee
- 5:45 am – Travel from hotel to Whale Shark watching drop off point – P800 each
- Roundtrip ride
- A sidetrip to tumalog falls
- life jacket rental, boat rental, snorkeling with whale sharks
- 6:05 am – Attend briefing, register and wait for the boat. Swimming with the Whale Sharks
- 7:55 am– Travel from Tanawan to habal habal parking
- 8:10am – Habal habal ride to drop off point plus quick trek to see the falls, Explore the falls, dip in the cold water and chill at the Fish Spa – P100 each rountrip + entrance fee
- 9:00 am – Travel back to the hotel, Swimming at the hotel’s beach
- 10:30 am – Wash up, Late breakfast by the beach, Prepare for depart – P80 each
- 12:00 to 1:00pm – Travel from Oslob to hotel in Dalaguete
- 1:00 pm– Check in at Ocean Bay and prepare for depart to Boljoon – P1700x2= 3400/6 = 566 each
- 2:00 pm – Bus ride from Dalaguete to Boljoon – P50 each
- 2:30 to 3:30pm – Explore the Boljoon Church, Museum, Archaeological Site – P50 for museum entrance + donation 50 each, Merienda plus explore (Balay lungsod, Baluarte, Escuela Catolica, Ili rock) – P70 each
- 4:30 pm– Sun watching by the beach
- 5:00 pm – Bus ride back to Dalaguete – P50 each
- 5:30 to 6:30pm – Back at the hotel, quick rest, grocery shopping, Dinner at the Gazebo(hotel’s resto) – P160each
- 9:00pm – Lights out
- 4:30 am – Wake up, have a quick coffee boost, prepare for depart to Osmenia Peak –
- 300 each rountrip plus side trip to Obong springs
- 5:00 am – Habal habal ride to Osmenia Peak drop off point
- 5:40 am – Register and get a guide, Trek to the top of Osmenia Peak – P30 for entrance and P100 each for guide fee and tip
- 7:10 am – Trek down plus take a quick breakfast at sarisari store and rest
- 8:00 am – Travel from dropoff point to Obong Springs Register, rent a table if necessary, Have a quick dip in cold springs, explore – P100/6 = 16 each
- Entrance fee-P10 each
- 10:30 am – Back at the hotel, Wash up, prepare for checkout
- 12:00 nn – Bus ride from Dalaguete to habal habal parking area for Simala church – P80 each
- 12:45 pm – Habal habal ride to Simala Church, Pray at the church, buy souvineers (healing oil and rosaries)-P50 roundtrip each
- 1:40 pm -Travel to Carcar City – P25 each ordinary bus
- 2:10 pm – Lechon for late lunch – P100 each
- 2:30 pm – Explore Carcar city (St. Catherine Cathedral and Carcar Museum) and buy pasalubong – P50 donation(optional)
- 4:30 pm – Bus ride from Carcar to Cebu City – P70 each
- Taxi ride to Hotel Stella – P100/3 = 33 each
- 6:50 pm to 7:30pm – Check in, Drop bags, Rest for a bit and Have dinner – P3000/6 including breakfast = 500 each, P100-Dinner
- 9:30pm – Lights out
- 7:00 am – Wake up, have breakfast (included in the hotel), prepare for depart for Cebu city tour
- 8:00 am – Van ride from hotel to Magellan’s Cross – P2100/6=350 each
- 8:20 am – Explore, walk from Magellan’s Cross to Basilica del Sto Nino, Pray, Light a Candle
- 9:00 am – Back at the van, ride to Fort San Pedro, Explore, Visit the Gallery etc.- P30 each entrance fee
- 9:45 am – Van ride from Fort San Pedro to Heritage Monument and San Diego Yap Ancestral House – P50 each entrance fe
- 10:25 am – Walk from Heritage Monument to Jesuit House Museum, Listen and Learn new things from the guide about our history. – P50 each entrance fee
- 11:00 am – Van ride from Heritage Monument to Taoist Temple, Walk around, Give respect and pray at the temple, Try their free tea,Buy souvineers
- 12:00 nn – Travel to Public Market to buy dried goods for pasalubong. (Dried fish, squids, dried ripe mangoes and green mangoes etc.) – Optional
- 1:00 to 2:00pm – Lunch at Isidra – P120 each
- 2:00 pm -Prepare for depart, check out
- 3:30 pm – Taxi ride from hotel to airport – P250/3 = 83 each
- 8:30pm – Delayed flight back to Manila
- 9:30pm – Back in Manila
- Transportation: P4032 (including airfare)
- Hotel: P1949
- Food: P875
- Entrance and Guide fees, rentals etc: P1106
Total Budget: P7969 per person
Be thankful for every travel you’ve done.❤
Take a risk, go to an adventure
Also check out:
Till our next,
Doc and Cah
FB PAGE: Adventures with Docah